The Old Treasury Building is known as one of the best examples of nineteenth century building in Australia with its Renaissance Revival architectural style. The building was constructed from 1858-1862 to store gold bullions unearthed during the Victorian Gold Rush era that was responsible for Melbourne’s immense wealth in the 1850s. It served as the office of prominent leaders such as the Governor, Premier, Treasurer, and Auditor-General. The Victorian Governor currently signs off on all legislation at the Executive Council Chamber on a weekly basis. A public museum since 1994 with three permanent exhibitions, it is open daily for free except Saturdays.
© 2015, roamingpursuits Facebook: roaming pursuits
Twitter: @roamingpursuits Pinterest: roaming pursuits