The Block Arcade is a heritage shopping arcade that was inspired by the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele in Milan. The Collins Street wing was built in 1891, followed by the Elizabeth Street wing in 1893. The name originated from the 19th century custom of “doing the block”, or promenading the fashionable city streets.
The Block Arcade features large expanses of mosaic flooring, glass roofs, and mural ceilings painted by Phillip Goatcher that still survive today. It is a listed building, and is classified by the National Trust.
Arcade tours are held every Tuesdays and Thursdays, and is inclusive of tea.
© 2014, roamingpursuits Facebook: roaming pursuits
Twitter: @roamingpursuits Pinterest: roaming pursuits